Now Kailey is 19 and I am 18, both considered legal adults by everyone, except the adults in our group. So even though we are perfectly capable of conversing with adults, we still to this day get sat at the end of the table with our siblings ranging from 11-17. I know it sounds a little whiny but when the adults at this table spend so much time talking that your dinner ends up being 3 hours long, and you sit there in awkward silence for the same 3 hours, it can grate on ones nerves. So that was my dinner tonight, how was yours?
25 August 2009
So I went out to dinner with a group of old family friends tonight for one of their birthdays. It was Staci's 17th birthday and we went to Bj's to celebrate. Now it sounds like a good time, but usually it turns out to be very awkward and/or boring. Here is the reason: you know when your family has those friends that you have known forever and there may or may not be the ones who are around your age (which is the case for me). You get along with each other fine when you are younger but then as you age you have less and less to talk about? Well Kailey is about 2 months older then me, and a grade ahead, and we have NOTHING in common, at all. So usually we don't even bother sitting next to each other. However, people assume that because we are the same age and have known each other forever, that we are automatically friends who can talk the entire dinner no problem. So we get assigned to sit next to each other tonight and at first there are the basic questions, "How are you?" " How is school going?" "Where are you going, what's your major, etc.." and once those are out of the way we then can recall how little we have actually have in common. The only other question she asked me the entire dinner is if I have any living grandparents (which I don't).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i hate that! that is the worst! im sorry you didnt have a fun dinner
ReplyDeleteUGH thats awful!!! We have finally done away with the "kids table" at family gatherings. Also, I don't know about you, but I have always prefered talking with adults at these kinds of things. Even if I only end up listening, the things they have to say are so much more interesting and important than whatever the average teenagers have to say.
ReplyDelete