12 May 2010

So Close

Alright friends, I know it had been quite a while since I've posted so this is me making up for lost time. I have been so swamped with last minute teacher stuff and finals this week that I haven't really had much time to just chill out. My last week of school was great and as most of you already know I got exempt from my Finite Mathematics final because I had an awesome grade (I am still in disbelief). That is precisely why I have the time to put up this post, because my final would be right now but instead I have the day off. Right now I'm at the Bob Smith BMW dealership because my 'check your breaks' light came on, so I am here at 8 but I won't be done until around 10:30, yay.... Anyways, I had my Intro to Christianity final on monday and I ROCKED IT. My friend Melanie and I came to school early and had lunch with a last minute study session that really paid off. I finished that test in like 35 minutes and never even had to use the word banks. Melanie finished just minutes before me so we celebrated our smartness haha. 
Yesterday I had my Critical Reading and Writing final. I am pretty sure I did well. Our prompt was to talk about the journey of the hero and use all 6 of our texts to do so. I prepped for it quite well so I wasn't really worried. What I do want to share is the level of douchebaggery that I witnessed at my final. Now my class wasn't full of the brightest people but most of them typically showed up to class on time at had at least read sparknotes. Not my idea of prepared, but at least they weren't so lazy as to show up with no clue or to not show up at all. Now, he told us to be there before 8am because he was going to pass out the blue books and tell us to start exactly at 8. So me and this kid Dean are always the first people there and always prepared so we sat one chair apart and reviewed our notes and made sure our books were all accounted for and our quote card was with us. (We had to bring in all our reading books but we could use a 3x5 notecard to list page numbers in each of those books). So, 8:10 comes around and everyone who is there is busy writing opening paragraphs and in walks this kid whose name I don't know (he sat in the back all semester). In this kids hand is nothing but a black pen, that's it. No books, No notecard, No nothing. I was like are you freaking serious? Could you be more unprepared? Maybe if he forgot the pen. But then he sits down in between Dean and me, so he looks even stupider. He writes some BS essay in 20 minutes and then leaves. No quotes and he didn't know he was supposed to double space because he wasn't here when our professor told us that. it just boggles my mind how some people have zero vested interest in their education. 
If I get an A on that final then I have potential to have an A in that class. This girl I've talked to on and off all semester, Rehnesha, said that she was shooting for a 61%. Maybe I just don't understand. 
Anyways, I have my cultural anthropology class tomorrow and I am finishing up my study guide today. I think I will do pretty well on that test. So I will update you guys, and as of 12:30 tomorrow afternoon I am officially on summer. :) 

3 comments:

  1. Ashley, sorry, but the blackness of your blog is making me see lines

    And I can totally relate to this. My journalism class is a microcosm of the big picture. There's losers, suck-ups, and more losers. And oddly enough, a girl in her early 20s, with tattoos, a mohawk, those piercings that make large holes in your ears, and she sucks her thumb constantly.

    Then there's me! Now, today my journalism teacher strongly suggested that I become a writer for the school newspaper. But the newspaper sucks...like it REALLY sucks.

    So here's my question. Is it that we're doing something right? or are they just soo dumb?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'know Jake, I have no idea. I guess maybe in today's world and economy people aren't as motivated to get degrees, our generation is so fixated on the now and not thinking about the future. So they just want to make money and they need some kind of degree to do so. Or maybe it's that some people just don't care

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna just go with cluelessness. There are a generation of kids out there that don't realize what will happen if they don't shape up. They will be 30 and still living at home because they couldn't find a decent job to buy an appartment or house. I blame stupid parents! which is one of my favorite things to rant about.

    And yay for you ashley, for being smart and caring!

    ReplyDelete