So I have been reading ALOT lately. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I have this huge gap between my classes from 9:50 to 1:30. So it's only natural that I use all of that valuable time reading. So I am going to update you on the books I've been reading, with authors and back descriptions so you can find them if they interest you.
1. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. "As a new age dawns in England's twelfth century, the building of a mighty Gothic cathedral sets the stage for a story of intrigue and power, revenge and betrayal. It is in this rich tapestry, there kings and queens are corrupt, that the common man shows eternal promise- and one majestic creation will bond them forever..." Alright, now I know this sounds super boring and just awful, which is what I first thought of the 983 page epic, but after finishing it days ago I cannot get it out of my head. It took me a good 2 weeks of solid reading to power through this monster of a book, but I LOVE it. I catch myself comparing it to any other book I read or have read. The characters are unforgettable and as complex or as deep as you or me. They are so thoroughly crafted by Follett that you forget they are characters and I literally found myself talking to the book, or rather yelling at it, when I read something I wish would have happened differently. I highly recommend this to anyone with the patience and sheer will to finish it.
2. Shakespeare Undead by Lori Handeland. "Something wicked this way comes... and it keeps coming, and coming, and coming. William Shakespeare was one of history's greatest writers, a master of words with a body of work that is truly impressive... some may say a little too impressive for a single man to accomplish in one lifetime. Perhaps, as many have speculated, he had assistance. Or perhaps the explanation is more... unusual. Who was William Shakespeare? Who was the Dark Lady of the Sonnets? Why are the undead stalking the alleyways of London? And can they be stopped? Something is definitely rotten in the state of Denmark. So brace yourself for a wild ride through twisted streets and shadowed graveyards of Elizabethan London, where you'll discover how the Bard got his Bite." Long I know, but I literally finished this about an hour ago. In comparison to Pillars these characters are not nearly as important to me, but I did very much enjoy the story of Will and Kate. Seeing their relationship bloom is always a happy story, but with that comes some suspense and beautiful words. Handeland did a wonderful job of intertwining Shakespeare's body of work with his "life" in this story and creates a background that is ridiculous but one you wish you could believe. You get the beauty of his best writing but with the reprieve of modern day storytelling to give the mind a break.
3. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. "In nineteenth century China, in a remote Hanan county, a girl named Lily, at the tender age of seven, is paired with a Laotong, or "old same", in an emotional match that will last a lifetime. The Laotong, Snow Flower, introduces herself by sending Lily a silk fan on which she has written a poem in nu shu, a unique language that Chinese women created in order to communicate in secret, away from the influence of men. As the years pass, Lily and Snow Flower send messages on the fan and compose stories on handkerchiefs, reaching out of isolation to share their hopes, dreams, and accomplishments. they both endure the agony of foot binding and together reflect upon their arranged marriages, shared loneliness, and the joys and tragedies of motherhood. The two find solace, developing a bond that keeps their spirits alive. But when a misunderstanding arises, their deep friendship suddenly threatens to tear apart." This was just a beautiful story. The bond between the women is so tangible that you feel as if, somehow, you are just as much friends with them as they are with each other. This story is not a happy go lucky one, but I do believe that there lies meaning within it that is worth investing a little time to truly read it. This book is not a long one, only about 260 some pages. I finished it in a couple of days.
4. People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. "Hanna Heath, an Australian rare book expert, has been offered the job of a lifetime: analysis and conservation of the famed Sarajevo Haggadah, rescued from Serb shelling during the Bosnian war. Priceless and beautiful, the book is one of the earliest Jewish volumes ever to be illuminated with images. When Hanna discovers a series of tiny artifacts in its ancient binding - an insect wind fragment, wine stains, salt crystals, a white hair - she begins to unlock the book's mysteries, ushering in its exquisite and atmospheric past, from its salvation back to its creation through centures of exile and war. Inspired by a true story, People of the Book is a novel of sweeping historical grandeur and intimate emotional intensity." I most definitely enjoyed this book. Hanna is a very relatable character that you connect with right of the bat. Her internal dialogue really establishes her reputation as the expert she is known to be. I know that a lot of these book are historical fiction, which is slowly rising as a favorite genre of mine, but this was quite literally the most historically accurate one of all. Pillars was, I imagine, historically accurate but there are parts of the story that were extremely brutal which made me shy away from certain sections of the story. However, People of the Book is something I read straight through without feeling uncomfortable or uneasy. In fact, I was quite invested in Hanna's story and all that she had to say. You should pay Hanna a visit sometime.
Well, this concludes the end of my very long blog. If you want to borrow any of these, they are all paperback but still I understand not wanting to shell out money if you don't have to, then don't hesitate to ask to borrow them. So long as I get my books back, I have no problem sharing these worlds and stories with others. Until next time then.
I love reading. I haven't been able to read for fun in so long, but when I do, I know where to look for a list :)
ReplyDeletemy mom read snow flower and the secret fan for her book club a few years ago. she loved it! the people of the book sounds interesting...i shall have to check some of these out.
ReplyDelete