First up is summer school. So I am pretty sure I told you all about my fabulous American Women teacher, Sheryl Nomelli. I still adore her to bits. That class is actually really great and I enjoy all 3 hours and 15 minutes of it everyday. I am sad to see it end because I love it so much. I have made some new friends and now breaks aren't awkward and silent anymore. I just took my midterm on Thursday and I am pretty sure I rocked it, but I will find out for sure on Monday. The class has been a breeze so far because its such a short intense period of learning that you don't really have time to forget information before being tested on it. This is my favorite part about summer courses. However, no amount of pluses could help my godforsaking philosophy class...
My philosophy class is taught by Dr. Theodore Faulders, who I cannot stand. I finished the first week of my class and really wish I had taken another course, but too late for that I suppose. As a future teacher, I take parts about teachers that I like and I save them in my mind to use as tools in my own career. However, Dr. Faulders is the perfect example of exactly what I do not want to be. Now, as many of you may know I am fairly liberal so the fact that Dr. Faulders is a raving conservative already doesn't sit well with me. As a side note, I want to say that my severe dislike for my teacher is not based on the fact that we politically disagree because that would be stupid. I have plenty conservatives in my life that I get along with splendidly so this is not the sole reason for my dislike, rather it is in the way he regards his students and uses his platform to shove his ideas on students. he thinks that because he is at Moorpark College that everyone he teaches is stupid. He consistently tells us how we couldn't possibly understand Aristotle and not to bother; yet he continues to make us interpret and discuss the philosopher's book, Nicomachean Ethics. He is constantly forcing his political and religious opinions on us, without allowing us a chance to discuss or rebut his arguments. The only redeeming quality this man has is that he does truly understand the material he teaches and I do believe he is passionate about philosophy. I also believe this man should not be teaching at the junior college level, if at all. He is simply not teacher material in my modest opinion, so this is going to be a loooong 5 weeks...
Sorry about the rant, it just ruffles my feathers. In other news, I have begun my quest to learn the Hungarian language. As most of you know, my father is full Hungarian and his parents were born and raised in Hungary before coming to American during the Russian invasion. I knew the language almost fluently as a little kid but when I stopped spending everyday at my grandparents house I lost just about all of it. All I know now are weird little phrases and names of food and such. I have resolved to go to Budapest, Hungary for study abroad the fall of my junior year and I feel that now would be the proper time to learn some of the language before actually going there. I bought a book/cd kit that looks promising and I also have my dad on hand who speaks the language fluently himself (which I think will be a bonus in the learning process). I will keep you updated on my progress but I hope to learn it quickly.
Next, I am on a new quest to improve my eating habits and thereby lose some weight. So far I have lost 2 pounds in 2 weeks, which I hear is the normal rate. Now at first I thought 2 lbs. was nothing but then my mom asked me to think of what 2 lbs. of butter looks like and then I felt a but more proud of myself. I have completely cut out soda, with the exception of one every long while so I don't succumb to bingeing. I also switched from white breads to whole grain and have cut out all fast food. So far it seems to be going well and the switches haven't been that difficult. I have been accompanying my sister to the gym and I have started kickboxing class which are WAY FUN. You guys should definitely check that out. I shall also keep you posted on my progress here.
Lastly, I have officially taken up archery. Mia Daniels and I have been going to beginner's archery lessons at the Woodley Park Archery Range and both of us have absolutely fallen in love with it. It's so empowering to try something that requires skill and know that you can be good at it. I was motivated by my own Hungarian heritage (The Hungarians are descendants of the Hunnic tribes of Asia and Europe who were renowned horse archers). Mia was motivated to try it after watching Robin Hood with Russell Crowe haha. Either way, we have promised to keep it up and then find a range closer to Cal Lu once we both move on campus in the fall.
Anyways, that was my HUGE post for the time being. I know I keep promising to be more punctual with my posts but from now on I'm only going to promise that I will do my best to post. I hope all is well with you and that summer is going fabulously.
So, as someone learning a new language, first of all, that is sooo awsome!!!! and second of all, speak with your dad as much as possible. As soon as you learn something, say it with him. Speak it at any time possible!!! it is the only way to get it.
ReplyDeleteI am very sorry about your horrible teacher.
I AM TOTALLY WITH YOU ON THE EATING THING!!! when i was away, i started eating a bit healthier (which is weird cuz its usually the opposite). It just makes you feel so much better in the long run when you are eating fruits and veggies and not french fries. And even the difference between canned and fresh! And less butter and oil. It all leads to less 'fat days' if you know what i'm talking about. so Yay for healthy!