24 January 2010

The Teachers

Alright, now that I am a seasoned college student of 3 days, I believe it is time for a teacher evaluation!

Professor Weitz: teaches critical reading and writing (basically crit comp with poole, but less intense) I am reading books I have already read (ie woman warrior, ceremony, bless me ultima, and harry potter 1) He seems like a very well spoken individual. He has his ph.d in English, but also informed us that he went to law school and is an established lawyer. He teaches a freshman composition class, as well as several law and criminal justice courses. He likes to talk, but he also likes to talk about how he doesn't like spending whole periods talking, I loved the irony. I enjoy hearing him talk nonetheless, because he has a sort of magnetism about him. Not good looking, or charismatic, but something about the way he strings words together makes me wanna listen, but I suppose that figures...lawyers. On a grade scale, I would give him a B+, but I will keep you updated. 

Professor Lipman: I don't even know where to begin with this woman, she is just that awesome. She was born and raised in England, which is where she gets her deep accent. She is my intro to world cultures professor with her masters in anthropology. She got her bachelors in England, then she randomly decided to up and move to Israel (where she learned to speak Hebrew) then moved to Florida for a time, where she then decided to go to Mexico to get her masters in anthropology down in an area around where the Mayas used to live. She is the oddest and most intriguing person I've ever met. She is a shorter woman with long curly black hair, and thick black glasses, who like to joke with all her students, while feeding us fascinating information, all at the same time. She easily gets an A+ on my radar. 

Mr. Moreno: My Finite Mathematics teacher, kinda. I say this because finite mathematics is basically algebra II, and I know that already, so I don't need it taught to me, but its a requirement. It is his first year teaching at cal lu, and he seems like a very shy person, but he knows his shit. The only issue is that he is kind of boring, at least in class. He never makes jokes, never talks to us, and always says the bare minimum to get the information across. He is a nice enough guy, but maybe needs a little more confidence. Right now, B- on my scale. 

Professor Everson: my intro to christianity professor. Now, despite the fact that I am taking a course I am more then capable to teach, I like this guy. He's in his late 60's, mildly overweight, and very hard of hearing, but it is completely and undeniably evident that he loves his job. He gets excited over the smallest things, and by using that enthusiasm, makes a potentially tedious class, exciting. Now, going to catholic schools FOREVER, intro to christianity is basically a waste of my time, but also required. (he spent 30 minutes teaching everyone but me and mia daniels what the word "gospel" means, and how to look up things in a bible.) Despite this, I look forward to that class, because he makes it interesting. A- easy. 

Now for the trippy part.

Margaret Miller: one of two adult advisors for my freshman seminar. If someone asked you to search the world to find a Ms. Poole clone, you wouldn't have to go any further than Cal Lutheran. When I first saw her, I thought, "Hmmm, she looks a lot like Ms. Poole." Thin, petite, blonde, but with a stern presence about her that pretty much elicited respect from people. Then she started talking. Y'know how Ms. Poole talks in a way that lets you know she isn't wasting words, and that everything she says has a necessary meaning and deep thought behind it, how she never speaks frivolously. Yeah, Ms. Miller is exactly the same. When she talks, you LISTEN because you know she isn't saying just because she can, she is saying it because it must be said. Needless to say, I loved her on the spot. no doubt an A in my book. 

Coach Dains: just when you thought that teaches couldn't get any cooler, you get Coach Dains. In a nutshell, he is the perfect combination of Mr. Paul Sauter and Mr. Eric Dick. I KNOW RIGHT? He is the assistant coach of the cal lu mens basketball team, and my current faculty advisor. He dresses and jokes like Mr. Sauter, but has the physical presence and mind blowing intelligence of Mr. Dick. He has a masters in Kinesiology, and runs the athletic training programs within the sports world at cal lu. Definitely an unquestionable A. 

So those are my teachers this semester of my college career. To be perfectly honest, I am quite pleased. I will definitely keep you updated to what they do, and if the grades change, but I'm not sure how much they can, seeing as how they are all pretty darn cool.

1 comment:

  1. College teachers' awesomeness has surprised me just the same. My government teacher was born is Israel where he was a good nurse. Aside from him being Israeli he's also muslim but also refers to himself as a jewish. On top of this my history teacher is an exact replica of Mr. Ochs teaching techniques actually using some of his exact humorous phrases.

    ReplyDelete