12 November 2009

Jury Duty part 1

Soooo I'm sitting here in the Jury Assembly room and it's about 10am and today has already sucked. I woke up way earlier then I'm used to, about 7 am, and had to get all my summons, and certificates, and whatnot together and print out directions to the court house. I left the house at about 8:15 because I needed to be there around 9:15. Now, I am assigned to the Van Nuys courthouse, about 30 minutes from my house, but I just barely got here in time considering my fail printed directions, my severe lack of knowledge for the area, and actually finding the dang parking structure thanks to my dad calming me down and guiding me via cell phone ( I know it's illegal but things like this are just necessary.). So I'm down a sketchy street on the phone with my dad trying to find one person who knows where the heck I'm supposed to be, and there is NO ONE around, erg. So I'm still walking and finally find two cops who tell me to keep walking and make a right. So I finally feel comfortable enough to hang up with my dad and walk into a room with a lot of wood paneling and metal detectors. So I pass through the freaking metal detectors and walk into the jury assembly room where I wait in a line that I thought was meant for people to check in, only to find out about 10 minutes later that it's only for postponement requests and so I go sit down. Luckily I'm sitting next to a really nice french lady who helps me out because it's obvious I was really anxious/upset at the circumstances. 

So it looks like I'm basically gonna sit here until my number gets called and go into a courtroom with about 40 other people (there are only 12 people on a regular jury). So they choose the 12 from the big group and if you don't get chosen you go back to sit in the big ugly room until you get called again (which is apparently a very slim chance considering people are pre assigned) then you leave. Leaving could mean you you get out of here around noon, or it could mean you get out of here are 4pm, which is the latest your allowed to be kept here. 

On the brighter side, today is the day the Farmer's Market is occupying the main street outside the courtroom, so I can go out there on my breaks and look at the fun stuff. I really hope I don't get assigned to a case, and that I get dismissed from my service for being too young, never employed, with about zero real life experience. So I'll update later tonight with the rest of my experience, rawr. 

No comments:

Post a Comment